Expert witnesses can provide valuable specialized knowledge and insights based on data and facts. They can help inform their clients on the intricate and nuanced details related to the case. In a 2018 survey of over 1,000 attorney's conducted by the Expert Institute identified some interesting trends (infographic):
1) Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Commercial Litigation account for the top three (3) areas of practice
2) 1 in 5 attorneys report that 70-80% of their cases required experts in the past 5 years
3) 56% of attorneys only retail one (1) expert per case
4) 87% of attorneys report working with the same experts more often than not
5) 1 out of 3 attorneys expect usage to increase
Finding a qualified and knowledgeable expert can be time consuming with opportunity costs associated with the search however the right candidate can be instrumental to persuade opposing parties to agree to a favorable settlement and/or credibly educate judges and juries about the facts and issues relevant to the case.